Simplified Meal Planning

For my entire teenage and adult life I have directly related my food (diet) to how I look and how much the scale says that I weigh.  I have tried multiple diets in the past, from Weight Watchers, Whole 30, high fat/low carb, high protein and good ole calorie restiction.  I would gauge how well these diets worked by what the scale said at the end of the day.  I would also spend about 2 hours at the gym each day on my days off.  Needless to say, I probably had an unhealthy food and workout relationship.

3 years and 2 children later my whole life has changed.  My body, my mindset and the way I cook and eat are completely different.  I no longer have the luxury of spending multiple hours at the gym and planning and preparing meals.  There are days where all I get done is feeding and bathing our children. (I am usually left unshowered) I still consider those days a win because my babies are well-fed, happy and healthy.   I have tried to follow diets and plan wonderful meals but I would end up having anxiety attacks trying to follow all the different rules each diet had.  I was spending too much time in the kitchen preparing meals and cleaning up the mess.   Not too mention the waste of money and food on leftover ingredients that would just be used in one dish.  My favorite part was when I would spend all afternoon preparing and cooking a meal only to just have to rush and eat it because one kid was screaming the other was throwing his dinner on the floor.

So you know what? I quit.  I quit scrolling through Pinterest trying to find the perfect meal plan for the week.  I quit scanning the labels on my food making sure it had the perfect amount of protein, carbs and fat I needed.  I quit worrying about what would happen if my kids didn't like the meal I made. Seriously, they aren't going to starve themselves, they will eat when they are hungry.  I even quit preparing dinner when my kids napped.  We try to obtain the holy grail of afternoon naps called the "double nap"where both kids are sleeping at the same time for 1-2 hours.  I used to use this time to do laundry, clean up any messes, prepare dinner for the night or making breakfast in advance for the next day.  Now, I spend that time relaxing, reading or even napping myself (the triple nap). I have found that I need some downtime just as much as my children do.

 So how do I plan dinners now?  I have done two things to simplify my meal plans.  One, I focus on a few healthy ingredients and use them in multiple dinners such as quinoa, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Two,  I follow a similar pattern every week for my meals (Taco Tuesday, Greek Night, etc). Its not exciting or sexy but I know I am producing healthy meals that are easy to make.

Monday- Flatbreads 


I buy pre-made flatbreads (usually Naan style) and just use different combinations of ingredients to top them with. This week we made asparagus and hummus flatbread with lemon, mint and arugula on top.  We also made a Greek one with feta, tomatoes, olive oil, banana peppers and olives on top.  The possibilities are endless here.  You could make a traditional pizza, bbq chicken, hamburger or even a taco one.  Literally whatever is in your refrigerator you can use.  Just throw it on top of the flatbread, stick it in the oven for 10 minutes and it is done.

P.S. My oldest loves to top his own as well! We buy the mini Naan breads from Costco.

Tuesday- Taco Night (Taco Salads)


I buy a package of of soft shell taco shells and a bunch of veggies (bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli and zucchini). I cut up the veggies and throw them in a skillet with Trader Joes Chili Lime Seasoning.  Then I put them in a bowl and everyone can make their own salad or taco.  I steam some veggies for our youngest since he does not like the taco seasoning.  On the side I slice up a plantain and bake it in the over to make some "chips" and serve with a side of guacamole.  We use the single serve cups from Costco.  (Tableside is the brand)  You could add any meat you like to this meal as well and if you want super simple just buy a rotissere chicken from the store and shred it.  

Wednesday- Greek Night (OPA!)

 I make a bunch of quinoa, throw in some cucumbers, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil.  You could buy this prepackaged, but it is so cheap to make. Then I put it on a salad with spinach or in a pita (leftover soft taco shells) and add some feta cheese. On the side (or on top.. Pittsburgh Style) slice a russet potato into french fries and serve with Greek dressing. 
I like to add sriracha to make it spicy.

Thursday- Power Food Bowl

 

 I use the leftover quinoa I made from the night before, add some spinach, blackbeans, homemade salsa and corn, think Chipotle Bowls.  You can top with whatever you want and you can change with the seasons.... sweet potato chunks, raisins, beets, lots of nuts and seeds etc.  And we usually do plantain chips with guac with this meal as well.

 Friday- Sheet Pan Dinner

I cut up vegetables (bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, sweet potatoes, etc) chicken breasts and marinate for a couple of hours.  To marinate I mix olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a freezer bag and place in the fridge.  Throw it all on a cookie sheet and in the oven for about 30 minutes.  I put it on top of spinach or quinoa and my husband might make a taco or wrap out of it.  Make a big batch of this and it can easily be used for leftovers the next day.  Bonus: one pan makes for easy clean up!

We always have a couple of Trader Joe's dinner bags in our freezer ready to go in case of a hectic night where we just don't have the time to cook as well as some steamable vegetables.

There it is!  Super easy and flexible with what your family's needs are!  The great thing about these meals is that the ingredients can easily be changed with your family's tastes or the seasons.  These meals are cheap and easy to make.  We don't eat much animal protein or dairy at our house but feel free to add whatever meats and cheeses you like.  

This is by far the easiest and most convenient meal planning I have ever done.  I also feel great! I no longer obsess about every meal.  These meals have helped my simplify my grocery shopping and each meal takes about 30 minutes to make, most even quicker.  

I hope this helps you regain your sanity in the kitchen.  

Love, 
Erika


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness Pills

Why I became a minimalist mom