Why I became a minimalist mom

Our journey to minimalism really started about 2 months after I gave birth to our second son, Miles.  
It should have been one of the happiest most fulfilling times of my life, but it instead was filled with
anxiety, stress, and doubt. I wasn't present.  I was constantly cleaning up a mess my 2 year old had
made, attempting to cook some complicated meal, doing piles of laundry, planning workouts and ways
to get back to my pre baby weight and worrying about how I was going to keep it all together when I
went back to work in just 4 short weeks.  

Our culture today expects women to do life and motherhood "pinterest" style and I was pin-failing.
 Most days I sat around with a baby attached to my boob crying and yelling at my husband and toddler.  
I wasn't the best mother that I could be and I finally sought the help that I so desperately needed.
I reached out to my doctor and was diagnosed with postpartum adjustment anxiety disorder.  
I attended counseling sessions weekly and learned strategies through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
to help me decrease my anxious tendencies. I was also introduced to the idea of minimalism around
the same time.  I realized that I was spending so much of my precious time cleaning and organizing
items that I did not need.

I read "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up" by Marie Kondo and watched the documentary
Minimalism- and I was hooked.  I couldn't begin cleaning up my life fast enough.
I started in my closet.  I took out every item and only kept the items that actually fit and made me
feel good (not an easy task for a postpartum nursing mother, but I did it.)  It felt amazing to see such a
beautiful organized and uncluttered closet. I began using each nap time to pursue a new area of our
home. I tackled the kitchen drawers and cabinets, under bathroom cabinets, children's closets, the
laundry room.  I had junk hidden everywhere and I was addicted to getting rid of it. I actually got rid of
35 wine glasses..... 35! We don't even have 35 friends. We also had 26 towels for a family of 4.
Countless trips to the Goodwill were made. The workers began to recognize our car as we pulled
up to unload yet another overstuffed trunk of stuff.  

The area that had the biggest effect on our daily lives was the toy areas in our living room.  We had
noticed that our children played with about 10% of their toys and I was spending a large amount of time
picking up and organizing 100% of their toys.  So we simply got rid of the toys that were not serving them.
We kept their favorite trucks, blocks, puzzles, books, trains, play kitchen, and puppets, but we got rid of
the annoying play remote controls, fake computers, phones and pretty much anything that didn't require
them to use their imagination.  I want them to learn how to be creative and how to play. Now they each
have 2 bins of developmentally appropriate toys in our living room as well as their puzzles, books and
blocks. Honestly, our kids play better now. They don't have 97 toys to choose from and they are perfectly
content. The best part is that everything can be cleaned up and stored neatly at the end of each day in
about 5 minutes.  
Adapting minimalism into our lives has given me a sense of peace in our home.  I've noticed that the
amount of clutter and lack of organization in my home had a direct impact on my stress level.  
We didn't stop with our home either.  We have adapted the idea of minimalism in other areas of our lives
including the way we purchase items, the way we cook and even the way we schedule our lives.  I now
know that when I say "yes" to something I am also saying "no" to something else so I am much more
mindful with the way I schedule my life. Before buying something new I really think "do I need this?
where will I put this? is this going to add value to my life."  Before clothing shopping for myself or for my
children I make a pinterest board to see what items I am looking for instead of just loosey goosey going
shopping because I need something new.... what exactly is it that you need?  Minimalism has saved us a
lot of money here :)
I used to stress about cooking nutritious and budget friendly meals for my family.  Now I have 5 meals
that we eat during the week that are super easy and budget friendly.  It has simplified my life and we
are all healthier and happier because of it.

Less is more.  It allows you more time and energy focusing on things that you value, such as family,
friends, and your health.  Minimalism has made me a better wife and mother. What could you let go of
to become a better you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness Pills

Simplified Meal Planning

Money and Marriage